top of page

Hear More/ Do More Sermon Reflection Group

Public·16 members
Maxine Higgins
Started 1st Challenge!Challenge Rookie
WYAC Staff!

When the Culture Disgusts Us Summary

In this week's sermon, we delved into the story of Jonah to explore how we can be a voice in the wilderness, especially when dealing with people who annoy, disgust, or have hurt us. Jonah was called by God to preach to the city of Nineveh, a place he despised due to its wickedness. Despite his initial resistance and anger, Jonah eventually obeyed God's command, delivering His message to the Ninevites. The sermon emphasized the importance of using God's words, recognizing that it is God's work that changes hearts, and embodying God's heart in our interactions with others.

The key takeaway is that we must present God's word faithfully, understand that transformation is the work of the Holy Spirit, and cultivate a heart of compassion and love, even for those we find difficult to love. This aligns with Jesus' teaching to love God and love our neighbors, recognizing that every person bears the image of God and is worthy of His grace and love.

Intro Prayer

Heavenly Father, we come before You with open hearts and minds, ready to receive what You have for us today. As we gather to discuss Your word, we ask for Your guidance and wisdom. Help us to be receptive to Your teachings and to understand how we can apply them in our lives. May Your Holy Spirit move among us, softening our hearts and opening our eyes to see others as You see them. Let our discussions be filled with grace, love, and a desire to grow closer to You. In Jesus' name, we pray. Amen.

Key Verses

1. Isaiah 40:3 - "A voice of one calling: 'In the wilderness prepare the way for the Lord; make straight in the desert a highway for our God.'"

2. Jonah 3:1-2 - "Then the word of the Lord came to Jonah a second time: 'Go to the great city of Nineveh and proclaim to it the message I give you.'"

3. Matthew 22:37-39 - "Jesus replied: 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

4. Psalm 119:11 - "I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you."

5. Luke 19:10 - "For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost."

Life Application

This week, challenge yourself to engage with someone you find difficult to love. Use God's words, pray for the Holy Spirit to work in their heart, and ask God to give you His heart of compassion and love for that person. Reflect on how this experience changes your perspective and relationship with them.

About

Come here to reflect on the Sunday Sermon!

Members

bottom of page